Close

Solar Panel charging

Posted: 2 years ago Quote #630
Hi, I recently purchased an ArkPak and have a question
I already have one deep cell battery fitted to my Jayco Flite campervan, and I would like to charge this and the ArkPak from a 140W solar panel when camping.
How do you suggest I connect both batteries to charge from the single solar panel outlet ?

Ideally, to connect the solar panel to the terminals of the ArkPak, and from the ArkPak Anderson outlet to my Jayco battery via the Anderson plug.
With both batteries in series, however, I'm not sure this would be enough current flow to charge the Jayco battery?

Alternatively, split the output from the solar panel regulator (if there is a "Y" cable available as such) to connect in parallel, to the two batteries.

Thanks

Posted: 2 years ago Quote #632
RRS:
Hi, I recently purchased an ArkPak and have a question
I already have one deep cell battery fitted to my Jayco Flite campervan, and I would like to charge this and the ArkPak from a 140W solar panel when camping.
How do you suggest I connect both batteries to charge from the single solar panel outlet ?

Ideally, to connect the solar panel to the terminals of the ArkPak, and from the ArkPak Anderson outlet to my Jayco battery via the Anderson plug.
With both batteries in series, however, I'm not sure this would be enough current flow to charge the Jayco battery?

Alternatively, split the output from the solar panel regulator (if there is a "Y" cable available as such) to connect in parallel, to the two batteries.

Thanks

HI RRS

YOU COULD DO EITHER OPTION YOU LISTED ABOVE BUT MY PREFERENCE WOULD BE YOUR 2ND OPTION.

REGARDS

BRETT FROM ARK.

http://www.arkcorp.com.au/
Posted: one year ago Quote #850
looking to purchase a redarc 150W solar panel and an ark powerpack 2.

the solar panel is sold with or without an in line regulator. my question is do i need to purchase the regulator if i am connecting to the poerpack 2? the powerpack 2 material i have read mentions solar connect point as either aligator clip to external terminals or via the accessory plug. Do both of these connect points have a regulator behind them to protect the battery?

thx

Posted: one year ago Quote #853
Hi Shabill

yes you do need a regulator or charge controller to protect the battery from over charging.

Regards

Brett from Ark
Posted: 2 months ago Quote #1300
Hi, Total novice here regarding setting up solar and 12v electrics. I just purchased a near new Ark Pak and I would like to know how to charge the battery from the solar panel as the unit will be in my caravan to supply all my 12v lighting. The Solar panel is 250w with a 40amp mppt regulator. Also how do I set the box up to be the source for the 12v lighting and if the pak is enclosed in a cupboard what venting will I need.
Thanks in advance
John
Posted: 2 months ago Quote #1305
Hi John

Thank you for posting up your question sorry for the delay in coming back to it.

i can confirm that when you want to charge the Ark Pak via an external charge such as solar you must have a charge controller or voltage regulator connected to the solar panel this is to protect the battery from being over charged by the solar panel.

you can connect the solar panel into the Ark Pak via 2 ways the external terminals on the left side or the Anderson plug on the right side they both link directly to the battery.

in terms of setting up the box to power all your 12 volt items i would suggest going to either the external terminals on the left for multiple items or using the Anderson plug for single items.

with the Ark Pak being in an enclosed cupboard space and you worried about ventilation to overcome this problem i would strongly suggest selecting a fully sealed AGM or GEL type battery they are fully sealed non venting battery  this will work fine in your enclosed cupboard space.

if you have any more questions please ask.

Regards

Brett from Ark