Close

What am I not understanding?

Posted: 2 months ago Quote #1528
Hello!

Just came back from a weekend camping in France - the Alsatian Wine Route. No, didn't go there for the wine - another story....

But it WAS a System Check for my camper that I designed and more or less put together by myself. The ArkPak 730 of course forms the central part on my electrical system for devices. So, I loaded it up - it had been charging in my hobby room, waiting for the big day. Stuck the 2 12v plugs into the ArkPak, plugged the ArkPak into the 12v plug at the rear of the van and started the motor and tested. My Waeco CDF-36 showed the LED screen as working and the water pump pumped water into the sink (and the drain to the refuse water canister worked and didn't leak).

When I got to the camping ground, I turned off the isolator, unplugged 12v charger plug from the van and the Ark Pak. Hooked up the mains to the van via CEE plug, then plugged the 230v charger into the ArkPak and into the van side of the CEE plug. I then turn on the isolator. I had nothing plugged into the inverter plug on the ArkPak730. The inverter switch was in the "off" position. I checked. I then checked the Waeco CDF-36 and the water pump and both were working. BTW - the 2 12v cables running into the ArkPak have lights on them and they were lit.

To recap. The ArkPak's inverter was in the "off" position. The ArkPak itself was drawing power from the CP's mains - this morning it showed fully charged @13.2v/100%. But it was delivering power to the Waeco and the water pump.

I thought, in order for the ArkPak to deliver power to USB, 12v devices and/or through the inverter, the inverter switch itself needs to in the "on" position. Is this not the case?

Thanks for the prompt answer!
Posted: 26 days ago Quote #1545
Well, so much for the "prompt answer".

I just got back from 2+ weeks in Normandy and the system worked terrifically. All the devices in my van excepting the 12v fridge and the 12v water pump work 12v or 230v so while at camping sites, I ran everything off land current except the fridge and the water pump, which are "permanently" hooked into the 12v sockets of the ArkPak 730. I have a 12v charging cable hooked into the plug at the back of the van for when driving, otherwise use the 230v charging cable running into an RCD/FI to charge from land current. I simply unplug the one and plug in the other depending upon whether stationary or driving. We hit a stretch of bad weather so spent 2 nights in a hotel and the ArkPak with 85Ah AGM battery kept the fridge nice and cold for the duration while only going down to 12.1 volts.

Up until now I've been singing the praises on various FB groups about this set-up - a real K.I.S.S. solution. Why am I stopping?

1) getting questions answered in an understandable, sometimes in any way here, is like pulling teeth. See the answer to this question. Service is important. Especially if you're offering a non-standard solution.
2) I've been trying for almost a year to buy a second 12v charging cable and a second 230v charging cable. I don't want to be stuck on the road and have one or the other die and lose my electrical system. The provider in Switzerland - the same one for the EU - has no extras. And it would seem that the requests I've made directly to Arkcorp have been ignored. Service is important. Especially if you're offering a non-standard solution.

If I use such a solution here and have an electrical problem, the reaction I get here is ... "We didn't install this system, so if it works, fine ... if not, get in touch with the manufacturer." So if I cannot get questions answered from the manufacturer or get parts, I'll use it as long as it continues to work, but if it stops, then I certainly can't see getting a new one, nor can I really recommend this anymore to people over here in Europe who will be faced with the same service challenges I have been. This is a product I want to love, but your service is preventing me. Maybe something can be done about that.

sigh